In order to work in the maritime industry, it is necessary to hold two documents. The first is a Merchant Mariner’s Credential (MMC), sometimes called a Merchant Mariner’s Document (MMD). The second is aTransportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) .To acquire the MMC, you will have to make an application to the National Maritime Center. Along with this application, you must also submit the following:

The Merchant Mariner Credential Acceptance Checklist lists the minimum materials to be submitted with an application. Take in person, email, fax or mail the completed application and the accompanying documents to a Regional Examination Center. Do not mail, email or fax the application directly to the National Maritime Center.

To get a TWIC, you may apply online. Thereafter you will have to have a personal interview and, when the application has been processed and approved, you will be required to claim your TWIC in person. Make clear that you need the TWIC to work in the maritime industry.

Finally, the prospective mariner should consider taking a Basic Training Course (the new name for Basic Safety Training). The one-week course covers lifesaving, first-aid and firefighting and is an excellent introduction to the industry.

Third-Party Authorization: Given that many mariners are often inaccessible at sea, the National Maritime Center has a process for allowing a “Third-Party,” for example a spouse or someone specifically designated by the mariner, to handle the details of his or her application in the mariner’s absence. The authorization may cover all aspects of the application or be limited to certain areas.